10 January 2010

Lifelines of Himachal Pradesh



On my recent trip to Himachal Pradesh, I came across a unique innovation - streams of water (pic above) criss-crossing through unknown hamlets where human habitation was scarce. Had I not been told about their critical importance for the region, I would have probably not even bothered to give them a second look.

These water-streams, or 'kuls', as they are known locally, are man-made structures, which reign in the water flowing from the mountains into areas with acute water- shortage. Now, water-shortage is a mass problem in the hills - so you'd find these 'kuls' practically everywhere in Himchal.

Dubbed as 'lifelines' for the region, locals here, depend on these streams of water for doing most of their household chores.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Soma said...

Thank you for ypour feedback...great to know that this info has helped you in ur assignment.

Som said...

Thats news to me !!!
Amazed at the idea/execution!
Sametimes the world makes me feel so little and stupid...

Anonymous said...

what I was looking for, thanks